Teaching remotely? You can STILL do a book tasting with your students! A virtual book tasting is a chance to expose students to different to different genres and to get them engaged and excited about reading. Instead of using physical books, you will insert links to book trailers or use with a site like Epic! or Tumblebooks. And you can still use this activity if you are teaching in-person. There are 3 Google slide files in this resource. Read below to see what is included.
What is included in this download:
- 23 slides
- Reviews 10 different genres
- The first two slides are the book tasting menus. Each slide has 5 different tables, each table represents a genre. I have added a transparent shape over top of each table. The shape links to the genre slide.
- For every genre I have created a slide that gives the definition of the genre. There are 3 spots for you to add your own book covers or links to the books you want your students to “taste” or look at. You can use book trailers from the internet, link to Epic! books or your library’s eBooks.
- After each genre slide is a slide for students to write their thoughts about the book they looked at.
- The last slide is for students to record their overall thoughts.
File #2: Identical to file #1, except there are no links to the other pages.
File #3: editable version
- 4 slides – a “menu” slide, a genre slide, and the two response slides
- You will add your own text to these slides. The background of the slides can not be changed. The preview shows these slides.
- historical fiction
- science fiction
- realistic fiction
- informational text
- folk tales
- graphic novel
I recommend this virtual book tasting resource for upper elementary students, middle and high school. The students should be comfortable using slides, adding text boxes and opening links.
I did not add this to my print book tasting product because this is a completely different resource with a completely different look and feel in addition to being in a digital format. Please contact me with any questions.