Students will use technology and problem-solving skills to complete this digital breakout after learning about the different types of reading genres.
Students DO NOT NEED a Google account or login to complete this activity. The breakout is completed through Google Forms. All that’s needed is a device with an internet connection.
The content of this breakout is identical to my Reading Genres Digital Breakout. That breakout was made with a Google Site. Since so many schools block student access to Google Sites I wanted to create an alternative.
A digital breakout requires students to work together to solve puzzles and figure out codes to open the digital locks.
What you need to use this breakout:
- Chromebooks, computers, laptops or some type of mobile device. You will need one device for each team. I recommend teams of 2-3 students if possible. The devices must be connected to the internet.
- Scratch paper for students to write down the lock codes while they are working.
Included in this resource:
- Teacher directions
- Link to the Google Form
- QR code (for accessing the form with mobile devices using a QR code reader app)
- The first activity is completed on the website https://www.h5p.org. Students will need to match the genre to its definition.
- Students will answer 5 multiple choice questions
- Students will look at 4 book covers and decide what genre the book belongs in
Genres reviewed: mystery, science fiction, poetry, informational text, traditional literature or folktales, historical fiction, realistic fiction, biography and fantasy.
There is also a bonus jigsaw puzzle for students to complete as an ending activity. The puzzle is from www.jigsawplanet.com. Some schools will block this website. This is beyond my control. You will need to check with your IT department.
Important Note: This is not an editable resource.
Advantages of using digital resources
⇒Paperless. No need to print and laminate the task cards
⇒Helps build 21st-century learners
⇒Can use with Chromebooks, laptops, computers, tablets, iPads or other mobile devices