As we prepare to wrap up another school year we are faced with one of our biggest challenges: getting all those library books returned! I have tried many strategies over the years with varying results. In this post, I am going to share with you some different tricks and ideas that will (hopefully) help get those books turned in before the last day of school.
Award some kind of class prize or award for the first class in each grade level that returns all their books. Bribery works! Suggestions:
- Eat lunch in the library
- Eat lunch outside in a special spot
- Make ice cream sundaes for the classes. If you do all the classes at the same time you can set up an assembly line and it goes pretty quickly.
- Instead of sundaes, you can give out freeze pops, ice cream sandwiches etc.
- Popcorn and a movie
- Have an outdoor reading day. Take the students outside, find some shade or put up some umbrellas. Play some music, provide refreshments and plenty of books to read.
- Offer extra time for the classes to come in and play board games or to do a special STEM or makerspace activity.
Get teachers involved
- Keep your display posters from the Scholastic Book Fair and raffle them off.
- Restaurant or movie passes if you can get them donated
- Have students choose from a treasure box of small toys, candy, gifts.
- Ask the PTO to purchase prizes
- Free books. Purchase the bargain packs or bruised books from Scholastic Book Clubs or purchase books from the book fair. Buy some extra copies of a really popular title and keep them to use as raffle prizes.
- dye your hair a certain color
- throw a pie in your face
- kiss a pig
- duct tape yourself to the wall
To help celebrate classes and students who return all their books, I created 4 different book return certificates. They are in an editable PowerPoint format so you can change the text to whatever you would like. To download them head over to the resource library. Remember the resource library is only available to newsletter subscribers! But joining is easy, just click below to sign-up.